Blog‎ > ‎

Children have a right to an independent educational evaluation (IEE) when the district refuses to evaluate

posted Dec 30, 2015, 3:42 PM by Diane Willcutts   [ updated Dec 30, 2015, 3:46 PM ]
The CT Bureau of Special Education recently issued guidance that describes when school districts must respond to a request for an independent educational evaluation (IEE).  

Generally, parents have a right to request an IEE when they disagree with a district evaluation.  The district then must either (1) agree to pay for the evaluation (with a qualified evaluator that the parent chooses) or (2) file for a due process hearing without unnecessary delay to demonstrate its own evaluation is appropriate.  

The CT guidance also states that parents have a right to request an IEE when a district refuses to conduct an evaluation or re-evaluation.  

See attached for the specifics.

For more information about independent evaluations, see here and here.
Diane Willcutts,
Dec 30, 2015, 3:42 PM